Wednesday 11 June 2014

Day 9 - More Floorboards and Electrical and Network Planning

Not much externally to show again today, but the floor is apparently pretty much done.

We're hoping to go upstairs tomorrow to see what's what, and work out where the walls are going to go. I think the trip up the ladder will be fun!

The electrician also came today to look at how the power (etc) is going to get up to the loft. Off the back of this, I've been out and bought the Cat6 network cable we need so that the office has the best possible networking. I've got enough to run a cable into the bedroom as well.
I've also spoken to the chap that we use for aerial installations, and he's going to pop up tomorrow afternoon and advise on what the electrician needs to put in for us so it all links up as we want it to. I'm looking at adding in a twin satellite feed to the bedroom (Sky+ or Sky multiroom, or perhaps freesat) as this will be much cheaper (and neater) than if we think about this later on.

At the moment, I'm hoping to get the following cabling in place:
Our bedroom:
6 double sockets
Twin satellite feed
Sky Magic Eye TV feed (from living room)
Cat 6 network socket

Office:
8 double sockets
Telephone socket
Cat 6 network socket

Cupboard (at top of stairs):
1 double socket
Network patch panel

The idea is that the network cable arrives in the cupboard, and then is split from there to the two rooms using a gigabit switch. I already have a patch panel to use, I just need to then hook that into a switch with some short cables.

No comments:

Post a Comment